© 2008-2011 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved

© 2008-2013 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved
Please ask permission before using any portion of our blog. Thanks!

Saturday, July 4, 2009

It's A Long Way Down

Work required that I go to the US for some meetings in Houston, Texas. I took a few extra days to visit my family in Utah. While I was there, I was able to check off one of the items on my "Bucket List".

JUMP OUT OF A PERFECTLY GOOD AIRPLANE--AND LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT!!!!

I have always wanted to jump out of a plane to experience what a free fall was like. It is an adrenaline rush that I will definitely do again. The pictures below verify that I did actually make the jump. Initially, you are required to jump in tandem with an experienced person.



Getting into the plane.


One the plane waiting to get up to 13,000 feet above the ground. This is the "friend" who got me to jump with him.


Free fall with the Great Salt Lake in the background.



Yes, that is me. Thumbs up!!! So far, so good. (You really don't have to worry about the free fall--it is the landing that matters). We dropped for about a minute in the freefall.



It is a rush falling at approx 130 mph. My fat cheeks are blowing in the breeze.


Pulling the ripcord.


The chute is deploying (thank goodness). It took about 4 minutes to float down after the parachute deployed.


The landing--smooth and sweet.


I really did it--and I survived.


I would recommend this for you to try. I didn't start to get nervous until the door in the plane came open and the 3 jumpers in front of me went out. Looking out of the door of the plane with the wind hitting me in the face really made it hit home. It really is a long way down to the ground from 13K feet. The first 2 seconds out of the door, everything is just a blur. Then I got oriented and the thrill of the jump kicked in.

9 comments:

Vanessa said...

Holy Cow...I didn't know you were such a dare devil!!

Unknown said...

Crazy guy! I can't believe you did that! It looks like...fun. I don't think I'd make it down without losing my lunch though!

Alison Berrett said...

All I have to say is wow and way to go!

Keri said...

Wow! So I never thought you had fat cheeks before...Randy and I had a good chuckle.

Maggie said...

All I have to say is what were you thinking?

Unknown said...

Thats something I don't think I ever could do!!

Bond Fam said...

You are way braver then me, I would die, I HATE heights.

Tiffany said...

Well OLD MAN I am glad you made it and did not have a heart attack on the way down!! I may just pass out in fear and never pull the cord.

Nalene said...

Wow! That is amazing! No, I don't think everyone needs to try it! I feel perfectly good about watching you accomplish this great challenge! Congradulations!