© 2008-2011 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved

© 2008-2013 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved
Please ask permission before using any portion of our blog. Thanks!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Surviving the Storm - Corrour Bothy

The powers to be decided that the YM camp out was a go. They sat in the car for an hour or so waiting for the rain to stop blowing sideways. Set the tent up in the rain. Slept pretty good. Hiked a hike that was supposed to be maybe 6 miles . . . ended up about 15 or 16. Hiked through some sun, rain, bogs, rocks and hills. Survived with a few blisters and some sore muscles. Got home around 10:30 p.m.

I took this picture yesterday when the rain started.
You really can't tell how bad it was coming down.
It was raining in sheets, sometimes sideways.

Here is our tent trying to dry out.
Every piece was soaking wet, although Bud stayed dry in it.

Now I know why Scottish people have clotheslines -
to dry out their tents!

Bud found me some pictures on the internet of where they went.


They hiked to the hut in the back ground.
Enlarge the picture to see it better
It is called Corrour Bothy. They crossed at the bridge.

A picture of the bridge over the River Dee.
This is in the Highlands near Ballater.

Corrour Bothy
A bothy is a sheep herders hut.

P.S. Bud got an email today (5/18) saying the hike was actually 20 miles! Bud also told me I could tell you that one kid from Edinburgh got to the top and couldn't go any further. He laid down and started crying. Turns out he had been in the hospital for meningitis two weeks earlier. Mountain rescue had to come and get him. Two other leaders also had to be helped down with the help of mountain rescue.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Every one of the pics are beautiful! Hey where did Uncle Lamar get that tent...if it rained that much and he didn't get soaked then that is the tent for me! We plan on doing a lot of camping this summer!

Mel and Angus said...

We ordered that tent from Cabela's, before they came to Utah. It is called the Alaskan Guide, or something like that. It is an amazing tent. We took it on a Pioneer Trek at Martin's Cove, WY. The wind and rain was blowing fierce and it was snowing not too much higher than we were, and we stayed dry and warm. We had to vent the tent to cool down. It can take a strong wind.

I'm glad you are going camping. I am quite surprised though, given that neither of your parents liked to camp. But I can tell by your blog you are an outdoorsie girl. I love camping. The night Lamar was gone I had a camping dream. It was wonderful! Crazy huh?

Nalene said...

Wow! It sounds like some kind of experience. I'm glad I can just read about it. Somethings I'd rather not experience in person.