© 2008-2011 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved

© 2008-2013 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved
Please ask permission before using any portion of our blog. Thanks!

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh


LaNice and I took the train to Edinburgh on a Monday morning
and came back on a Tuesday night. Here is one portion of our trip.
Holyrood Palace - it is at the end of the Royal Mile,
down from Edinburgh Castle.

This is the Queen's official residence when she is in Edinburgh. We got to tour a wing of the palace that Mary, Queen of Scots lived in. It was very dark - the wood, tapestries, etc. I am not sure I would have wanted to live in it. However the furniture was very ornate, paintings everywhere, and the tapestries were magnificent (they were quite faded but you can imagine how beautiful they were several hundreds of years ago.
Quite good preservation actually.)


This is the entrance to the courtyard.


The top of the entrance to the courtyard.
I liked how it looks like a crown.


This is a crest on the entrance.
The Scottish people actually believed that unicorns were real,
I believe as recently as the 1600's but I may be mistaken on that.
The unicorn was actually used as a representation of Christ.


LaNice by the gates to the palace.
I don't think they are actually used
as there are barriers on the other side.

You will see these unicorn statues at palaces or in the tapestries.

Fearsome looking guard!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Beautiful!! You know I'm coming to see you...right ;) Explore like crazy so you can give me the grand tour!

Looks like you had a great time! The castles are so pretty and the grass is so green.

Bond Fam said...

How very cool, I have always wanted to be able to see castles! Maybe someday....

Vanessa said...

The grass is so green and beautiful! Lovely pictures!

Carrie and Karl said...

I remember going there too. I'd forgotten how beautiful it is though.
Hope you keep enjoying it.
-Carrie Prince