© 2008-2011 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved

© 2008-2013 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved
Please ask permission before using any portion of our blog. Thanks!

Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Final Word on Jake

Jake the cattleman!

- I hope anyway. Jake had his final doctor's appointment yesterday. We were finding out the results of his final EEG. It wasn't what we wanted to hear but it wasn't all bad either. The EEG showed more abnormalities in his frontal lobs than the first one. On the first EEG it was only in one sphere (I am sure I am not getting the wording quite right - sorry) of the frontal lobes. The second EEG, where he was more stressed and more sleep deprived, showed some minor abnormalities in both frontal lobes. When the P.A. was telling us this she said that he would need to go on seizure medicine. Jake and I both brought up the fact that Dr. Vincent told us on the first visit that she thought it was probably the result of being kicked in the head, some damage, and that most seizures occur in the middle and back (lower?) lobes. The P.A. said she hadn't heard that and went to talk to Dr. Vincent. After conferring they decided that he didn't need medication. Just proves we all need to be active in our own medical diagnosis'.

Anyway, seizures in the front lobes are typically very minor seizures. The P.A. said that they can appear as a feeling of an "aura", vision squiggles, a funny feeling, stupor, blocking someone out while they are talking, deja vu, etc. I said that I think I must have seizures everyday - stupor, blocking someone out while they are talking, etc. Makes you wonder. The problem with frontal seizures is if the electrical current crosses over to the middle lobes. That can cause the full blown seizure, which is what happened in Jake's case.

Jake and I both feel that this was a wake up call for him to take care of himself. With this minor abnormality, and it is minor, if he doesn't take care of himself his body may react this way again. At the time of his seizure he was not eating well, lacked good continuous sleep, working full time and going to school full time, managing the complexes at his duplex (there are four complexes), doing cows, being in charge of FHE for his ward, and most importantly chasing women. He has cut his work hours in half, is eating better, sleeping better, and taking vitamins and minerals the doctor recommended he take. He said he is feeling better - he doesn't hardly need to nap now. I feel bad this happened to him but it is good to know. I am glad it happened while I was in the U.S. and not in Scotland.

He still can't drive until February 1st. The doctor said the first three months are critical in determining if he is going to have problems with seizures. If he can make it through the first three months without a seizure, he reduces the chances of having one down the line. If he can make it through the following three months (six months total) seizure free, then it is likely he will never have one again! I am betting on that scenario! I know he is anxious to be driving his new car again and while I love spending the time with him as his chauffeur, it is cutting into my time to get things done before the big move. Oh well, it will all get done whether I am ready or not. I love my boy!!

5 comments:

Keri said...

Oh, that's great news! I've been wondering about him. Glad to hear that the doctors know what's happening. I guess that's a lesson to us all to take better care of our bodies.

Vanessa said...

That is great news...and I'm sure he can make through till February!

Unknown said...

Hopefully the next three months go by uneventful! It really goes to show though that how we take care of our bodies can make a huge impact on ones life.

Bond Fam said...

Yeah Im with you I must have minor seizures all the time cause I am always spacing out and blocking people out while they are talking, lol. That is good that he wont have to be on medication, and Im with you I bet he will be just fine from here on out!

Unknown said...

That's great that you were able to be a bigger part in his diagnosis. How sad if he would've been medicated when it was actually unnecessary. I'm glad things are looking up! I can't believe all the things he had going on...if I was that busy I'd be in trouble!