© 2008-2011 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved

© 2008-2013 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved
Please ask permission before using any portion of our blog. Thanks!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Why we are moving to Scotland

I wanted to take a few minutes to tell you why we are moving to Scotland. My company is growing and my workload is taking me all over the world. I have traveled to such places as Australia, Singapore, China, Mexico, Canada, Colombia, Norway, Italy, Denmark, Germany, France, England, The Netherlands, and Scotland. It is getting to the point that I can't keep up with the entire world. The demands of the different areas of the world have required that we divide the globe into three regions. I have been given the responsibility to oversee the Europe, Africa, and Russia region. My regional office will be in Aberdeen, Scotland but I will still be required to travel throughout Europe, Africa and Russia as well as occasional trips to the US and elsewhere. My primary focus for the short term will be on the North Sea--Norway and Scotland.

This is an exciting opportunity for me to manage a growing business in a very interesting country. I am sure that I will grow and learn as the realities of the move and work set in. Mel and I are looking forward to the challenges that we will be facing as we move to Europe. There will be days when we will miss our country and our home but we know that the opportunities to learn and grow will be numerous. Of course, it will be difficult to leave our children and grandchildren. I will be saving airmiles so that they can come visit as often as possible. I would also like to extend an invitation for my family and friends to come and visit. Our home in Scotland is always open for you.


Edinburgh Castle: this is one of the largest castles in Scotland. It is well-worth the visit. It holds the Honors of Scotland (the crown jewels, sword, etc).

This is an older castle called Dunottar. It is fairly close to Aberdeen. It sits on a cliff overlooking the North Sea. William Wallace burned some English soldiers in the church here when they tried to ambush him.

This mountain is part of the Scottish Highlands. The area is rough and cold.
Driving through the Scottish Highlands. The old Scots who lived in this area would have had to be pretty tough just to survive.

This is Urquhart Castle, and old castle sitting on the shore of Loch Ness.

This is Loch Ness. I did see Nessie (she is real) but I didn't get my camera out quick enough. If I had been quicker, I could have provided proof to the world that she is real.

Can you believe it? These guys are wearing skirts!!! You see that kind of thing in Scotland. The bagpipers come out in droves for special occasions.

A street in downtown Aberdeen. Almost all of the buildings are made of gray granite.

Aberdeen is called the "City of Granite" because most of the building are built from granite quarried locally. It is also called the "Gray City" because of the granite buildings and the gray skies which are very common.This is the William Wallace Monument located in Stirling. This is the site of his first major victory over the English at the crossing of the river in Stirling. There is a narrow winding staircase that goes all of the way to the top of the monument. It also houses Wallace's sword which is huge. To be able to use the sword, they have determined that Wallace had to be at least 6'6" tall.
View from the top of the Wallace Monument.
The country has rock walls and fences built everywhere. They were built by the Stone Masons (predecessors of the Free Masons) centuries ago. They divide the fields and farms as well as border roadways.
Scottish countryside near Aberdeen.

I will try to add updates and pictures as I travel. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Angus (my new Scottish name)

4 comments:

Bond Fam said...

We are so excited for you guys! And hopefully someday we could come visit, that would be so fun!

Vanessa said...

Wow! What a huge step...I bet this really exciting for you guys! Good Luck!

Keri said...

Ha, your Scottish name is quite fitting, I must say. We would love to come visit, too. Now, if only I could find that money tree I was looking for...

Dixie said...

Angus? And people teased us when we wanted to use Gunn for Lander's middle name (the the Highlander clan the Jamison's come from)...Geez!