© 2008-2011 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved

© 2008-2013 Farnsworth Clan Adventure All Rights Reserved
Please ask permission before using any portion of our blog. Thanks!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bike to Work

In the Netherlands, riding a bike is much more common than in the US.  People ride bikes everywhere.  Bike paths have been built to accommodate and encourage riding.  As a fair weather cyclist, I ride my bike the 11 kilometers to work on some of the days when it isn't raining.  It generally takes me about 35-40 minutes each way.  It usually takes me about 30 minutes when I drive the car (more if the traffic is bad). (For my drive to work in Scotland see this post.)

A few weeks ago, I took my camera with me on my ride to work.  It was a Dutch holiday so the traffic was very light--and the weather was good.  This blog is longer than normal but it gives a good idea of what my ride to work is like.

 My bike with a computer bag
 Front gate to our apartment
Street in front of the apartment
 Nationally famous bakery on our street
 The church on Kerkstraat
 Crossing the street to the bike path
 One of many canals on the ride

 Notice the biker taking the dog out for a run

 The residency of the Canadian diplomat

 Interesting old building
 Sheep grazing


 Deer in the pasture

 The overpass--over a major highway

 The golf course




 Bike intersection








 A beautiful duck





 A family of Canada Geese
 A couple of young bulls
 In 6th gear and cruising
 Notice the thatch roof
 Cows taking life easy

 A Swan

 Into the city (The Hague)
 Dodge the bus
 Onto the bike path

 Notice the woman with her three kids on a bike


 Trapeze artist


 Shell's world-wide headquarters
 "The Intersection"





 My office building

 Down into the parking garage
 Alone in the parking garage (It was a holiday)
 The office

3 comments:

Keri said...

That is a gorgeous ride to work!! Do people lock their bikes up or is bike theft not a big deal there?

Mel and Angus said...

Everyone generally lock their bikes up, and yes there is some bike theft but its not too bad. Usually worse in the big cities.

Dixie said...

Thanks for posting these pictures. I guess I expected more cityscape. I didn't realize how much countryside there was. It's absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to come visit!!